Sunday, December 22, 2013

X-mas in Korea

Hey everyone! Last week was officially my 10th month in South Korea! The months and seasons have gone by in a blur and it's the final push to the end of my contract. I'm getting very excited to come home. It's crazy to think that in two months I'll be done at my school, moved out of my little apartment, and saying my goodbyes to Korea.

However, I'm still here for a while, so I should tell you about December in Daegu instead of day dreaming about the future :) It's Christmas time, even in Korea. I've been told that during previous years Christmas has not been a big deal for Koreans and there were very few public decorations. Christmas was more of a date night for young couples rather than a family holiday. Each year it seems to be getting more and more popular, particularly among the shops and department stores. The coffee shops around town are especially festive. Koreans seem to love their commercialization of foreign holidays just as much as Americans, so there are a plethora of ugly holiday sweaters for sale and bizarre shop displays.

Please note the sweater the Korean passer by is wearing.

Still less creepy than many other mannequins around town.

I've always been a sucker for pretty Christmas lights, so I quite enjoy all the blinking decorations and fake Christmas trees around downtown. Even the city trees are getting all glitzy for the season. 

Oooooh, shiny!

This will be my first Christmas away from home. I almost missed one a couple years back, but thanks to the persistence of +Connie  I was able to arrive home in time for Christmas dinner. It's a little sad that I won't be spending the holiday with loved ones, but I know I'll soon be home to see everyone. Instead  I'll be spending my Christmas day with my adopted expat family, so it shouldn't be too lonely.




No comments:

Post a Comment